General Hockey Blogs

Team Blogs

Anaheim Ducks
Battle of California
Duck's Blog (OC Register)

Atlanta Thrashers
Southeast Shootout
Bird Watcher's Anonymous
Blueland Blog

Boston Bruins
Wicked Bruins Fan's Blog
The Bruin's Blog
Bruin's Blog (Boston Globe)

Buffalo Sabres
Die By the Blade
Bflo Blog

Calgary Flames
Open Ice Hits
The Battle of Alberta
Flames Insider (Calgary Herald)

Carolina Hurricanes
Canes Country
Carolina on Ice
Red and Black Hockey

Chicago Blackhawks
HELP WANTED

Colorado Avalanche
All Things Avs (Denver Post)
Jerseys and Hockey Love
Avs Talk

Columbus Blue Jackets
Bethany's Hockey Rants
Light the Lamp
The Neutral Zone Trap
Puck Rakers

Dallas Stars
Razor With An Edge
Andrew's Dallas Stars Blog

Detroit Red Wings
Abel to Yzerman
On the Wings
Winging it in Motown

Edmonton Oilers
Battle of Alberta
Lowetide
Hot Oil

Florida Panthers
On Frozen Blog (Miami Herald)
Litter Box Cats
Florida Panthers (Sun Sentinel)

Los Angeles Kings
Life in Hockeywood
Frozen Royalty
Battle of California

Minnesota Wild
Wild Puck Banter
Deuce by Definition
Hitting the Post

Montreal Canadiens
Flying Frenchmen
All Habs
Habs Eyes on the Prize

Nashville Predators
What the Puck
The View From 111
Preds on the Glass

New Jersey Devils
Interchangeable Parts
In Lou We Trust
The Beast of the East

New York Islanders
The View From Section 317
The Battle of New York

New York Rangers
The Battle of New York
The Hockey Rodent
Blueshirt Bulletin

Ottawa Senators
Scarlett Ice
SENShobo
Battle of Ontario

Philadelphia Flyers
Ronnybrook
Flyer Flies

Phoenix Coyotes
Hip Shot Blog
Ice Chips (Arizona Republic)
Five for Howling

Pittsburgh Pengiuns
The Sidney Crosby Show
Pensblog
The Confluence

San Jose Sharks
Battle of California
Sharkspage
Mike Chen's Hockey Blog

St. Louis Blues
St. Louis Game Time
The Hockey Chick

Tampa Bay Lightning
Raw Charge
Bolts Blog
Lightning Strikes

Toronto Maple Leafs
Pension Plan Puppets
Battle of Ontario
Raking Leafs

Vancouver Canucks
Canuck's Corner
Canucks & Beyond
The Crazy Canucks

Washington Capitals
Japer's Rink
Puckhead's Thoughts
On Frozen Blog

Blue Jackets Links

Ramble, ramble, ramble!

Tuesday, January 02, 2007
Oh my golly, it's 2007!

So despite two amazing wins (and I'll admit it; I managed to catch the game against the Bruins while in Cleveland before the trip back to the motherland known as New Jersey), a rollercoaster loss against the Red Wingnuts, and a crushing OTL that involved prestidigitation by the referees and the "War Room" in Toronto, I managed to stick with my promise that I would avoid posting until the new year. Believe me, I've been chomping at the bit ever since the Minnesota Wild game to post something -- anything -- about the games.

And it's been a good thing, too! I'm glad I resisted the urge to post, since it's given me time to kick back, relax, and not just enjoy myself while on vacation, but also put in to perspective how I can make Army of the Ohio better. Honestly, I've been trying to come up with a thing or two that I could post about on a regular basis, since just posting pre-game commentary and post-game recaps is about as dull as frell. That, and considering I will most likely be working during all Blue Jackets' home games now, that means only being able to catch, at most, half of a game ... usually less if I'm not lucky enough to be put at one of the kiosks at Nationwide Arena which is in the proverbial "dead zone" of activity and sales (see: almost all upper floor kiosks). It isn't exactly easy to go writing up full recaps when you'll only have X amount of a game to watch, along with recaps from YouTube or NHL.com.

I'm not anywhere near as good as, say, Battle of Alberta or Jes, for example, when it comes to number crunching and showing people intriguing statistics; mathematics and the use of numbers in general have always been one of my weaker points (I blame my high school teachers for this!). I also lack the flair and superior writing style that Truth Serum has when it comes to writing rants, since my ability to stay on target and on topic is pretty bad. The joys of having the attention span of a ferret, right?

So what can I do? Well, if you look back a couple of weeks, I tried something on the fly: analyzing the different goals that the Blue Jackets gave up against the Red Wings during that 5-0 rout. Remember that I'm majoring in management with a focus on sports, so the mental and analytical aspect of the game has always been the most intriguing part of it to me. And the fact that I only commented about goals against the Blue Jackets isn't a reflection on me ignoring goals for them; it's just that they were shut out that night!

So I'm going to keep with that, and see if I can't tweak that to be done in a more in-depth, as well as entertaining way as the season rolls along. I also need to stop procrastinating when it comes to sharing my thoughts or comments about things in the news when it comes to the league in general. I've had thoughts about things from the Rory Fitzpatrick campaign to the new, "aerodynamic" jerseys to re-alignment, and I never seem to find the time to write about them! Of course this blog is about the Blue Jackets first and foremost, but that doesn't mean it's smart to just live in a theoretical bubble in Columbus when it comes to league news.

Last but not least, I need to clean up the layout of this blog. There's a whole lot of background code that needs to be cut out, and I also need to try and work on a better presentation that not only looks good, but is original (as in doesn't rely on 'borrowing' graphics from the CBJ website). I think that will be the first thing I work on as a New Years' resolution for AotO, since a better looking blog makes me want to do more with it.

I'll be back in Columbus tonight, after a mid-afternoon flight out of Newark, then a connecting flight in Pittsburgh. Until then, I'm out!

Labels:

1 Comments:
  • At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can't wait to see the new look.

    I have also found it hard to find and play to my strengths, but I think you'll find them eventually. Using your interests and your pending degree in sports management is a good idea.

    The main thing, I think, for any writer is to do something that is interesting to you. If you're not into what you're writing, it shows in the words. If you are enjoying it, so will we. Pick something you like, even if it's not the newest and zippiest thing out there, and you will attract and keep readers.

    Hope you had a great New Years!

     
Post a Comment << Home

Jackets Media


"Rick" Roll
Created by Skraut

About Me


Name: Michael
Home: San Tan Valley, Arizona, United States
About Me: A mid-20s male who feels much too old even before he's 30. Has a degree in Sport Management and after branching out and trying a few other things in the job market, has finally decided to go back to his first love of hockey and hope he can break in with a team, big or small, somehow.
See my complete profile

Previous Post

Archives

Personal Links